ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Britta's father has passed and due to her parentage and heritage she is starving and desperately needs shelter. Poaching lands her in the King's dungeon where she is offered a chance at living if she tracks down the man who killed her father, who just also happens to be the man who stole her heart and then shattered it. Jumping at the chance, she takes on the journey that slowly uncovers a sinister plot that lies beneath the surface.
Ever the Hunted was easily one of my most anticipated books of the year. The cover is gorgeous and the plot sounded really intriguing. Alas it ended up being entirely unoriginal and full of YA cliches. let's sum it up shall we?
1) 17 year old.girl with dead parents<br
2) mysterious parentage past revealed
3. stereotypical love interest who just kept ok fucking up the relationship, but was sweet so that's all that mattered
4. Too much damn forgiveness when there are some things in life that are not meant to be forgiven
5. evil character trying to gain control of the crown
6. MC discovers she is a spechul snowflake.
All I can say is the last paragraph FINALLY got my attention. Will I read the next book? I honestly don't know. the characters were extremely undeveloped and really.had no personality other than being nice. Sure, they got a bit angsty and angry at times, but thay NEVER lasted. I was left feeling rage over events that the characters literally took 5 minutes to be angry about and move on.
With all this being said, it wasn't a BAD book. Just not my cup of tea. If you read a lot of YA fantasy, you may find yourself utterly board with "Ever the Hunted." But hey, if you love the tropes and don't mind only half developed characters, you would probably enjoy it!